Wednesday, March 28, 2012

CasualConc beta bug fix

I've been fixing some minor bugs and adding a few minor features in the past few weeks, but I found a bit more serious bug, so I fixed it.

This only applies to the Database mode searching with wild card characters. When you search in Concord (and probably in Cluster and Collocation) using wild card characters, depending on the combination of words and wild card characters, a search could have taken very long time. This was a bug and I thought I fixed it long time ago, but it looks like I only did it for the File mode. I applied the same fix to the Database mode, so this shouldn't be an issue any more.

Since I updated the blog last time, I made a few minor changes and various minor bug fixes. A couple of notable features are on the Corpus File Information. I think I posted either here or on the main site that I added a new frequency table feature to count groups of words for each corpus/database. Now you can select either you count all the words in a corpus/database or in each file in a corpus/database. I also added a function to save the Corpus File Information table results as a file (not export as a CSV file) and later import it back to CasualConc.

Anyway, if you use the Database mode frequently, you might want to update to this version (1.9.2, 20120328 or later).

If you find any other problem, please let me know.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

CasualConc beta update

It has been a known issue that CasualConc crashes when viewing results on tables. It is actually not a bug of CasualConc itself, but a bug of RubyCocoa which CasualConc depends on. To address this issue, I decided turn off garbage collection on Ruby side when not processing texts, which means when you are viewing results. This might increase memory usage, but will provide much better experience (or at least I hope so).

Also, I fixed a few minor bugs related to the lemmatization, spelling variation, and stop word processing.

Please try this new beta version 1.9.1 and let me know if you encounter any problem. It is available on the CasualConc site. If this is much more problematic than the table view bug, I revert it back to the previous build.