Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Minor update

Over the weekend, I fixed a few bugs and made a few changes to some of the existing functions of CasualConc. But these changes might have introduced another bugs... Now CasualConc is 0.9.6 (beta).

The bugs or more precisely, legacy features, that were fixed or updated were mostly on file handling. When I first started writing the program, I didn't know anything about RubyCocoa (or Cocoa). So when corpus files/database file were selected, only one file/folder was selectable. This was simply because of the original Ruby script. In that script, I simply specify a directory or a file to analyze in the script. And I simply added Cocoa interface to it. Eventually, I learned how to receive multiple file names as an array from the open panel, I made it available to some of the new features. Now you should be able to select multiple files/folders when you choose your corpus files/folders in File Mode. In Database Mode, only one file can be selected. If you need to select multiple database files, please use the advanced file handling mode.

Another bug fix was drag and drop of files. I'm not sure if I mentioned this feature in any of the documentation, but you can actually drag and drop files to the table in File View. So if you have a Finder window open with files you want to add, you can drag and drop them (or the folder that contains the files) to the table. This should work with files to analyze in File Mode and files to add to a database in Database Mode. If these don't work, please let me know.

Other minor changes are too minor and I'm almost certain no one has ever used it. But anyway, I dropped Text Only mode. So now all you need to do is check/uncheck the file types you want to use. You still need to specify text encoding if you use text files. This is because the auto-detection of text encoding in Objective-C is not usable. Related to this change is the addition of OpenDocuemnt Text (.odt) support. But because I've never used Open Office, I haven't tested it. I implemented this a while ago when I added others but didn't activate it because I don't use it. And now I decided to activate it. I simply use a bulit-in Objective-C function, it should work as other files do (no guarantee).

Oh, one, kind of, major fix is the lemma function. I implemented the lemmatization function at a very early stage. But I've made a lot of changes to most of the tools since then, so it seemed like I broke it. Now it's fixed and I also added a function to use lemma grouping in kwic search. I mean, if you turn on this feature and search a word that is on the lemma file you provide, you can search all the words grouped under the same lemma, though I'm not sure if this works as intended.

In addition to these mostly fixes, I added a couple of new features. One is based on the lemmatization function and the other is something very experimental. But this post is getting long, so I'll post them in the next few days when I have time.

As always, if you happen to find this blog or the CasualConc site, please let me know what you think. You can leave your comment on this blog or email me (the address is on the main site).

No comments: