Saturday, October 12, 2013

Another long while...

I haven't updated this blog for a long time mostly because I haven't done much to CasualConc. I've made a few changes and fixed a few bugs. You can find them on What's new page on the main site.

I've done some work on CasualTranscriber. I've added a database function and made some changes to the subtitle function. Those are mainly for language pedagogy purposes, so if you use CasualTranscriber for other purposes, they are of not much use. I've also written a manual in Japanese. I'll try to write an English version of it in the coming months.

What I've spent most of the time before the summer was on a GUI front-end of the statistical environment R. It only has basic functions and not very flexible. My plan is to make it a bridge to learn R. I'm not sure how long this will take before it is useful, but I'll see.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's been a while...

I haven't posted here for a long time. I've been very busy this semester and I also started a new personal project. I've been updating CasualConc and a few other apps since I last posted here. So if you haven't updated CasualConc in the last 3-4 months, please try the latest build.

Other bug fixes, I mostly make changes based on users' feedback, which I receive not very often. So if you have some ideas, please let me know. I might not be able to answer all your requests, but I'll try.

Also, though I really want to update the documentation, I must admit I'm a way behind. I started updating the CasualConc 'how to use', but haven't been able to work on it since last summer. I hope I can make a progress during the spring break...

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

CasualConc bug fixes and more

Since I last posted here, I made a few changes and fixed bugs.

- some minor interface changes (sort, context word, etc)
- you can now save the Concord result table as PDF (Print or Command + P)
- more accurate keyword coloring in the context view when tags are suppressed

Word Count
- Phrase-frames list (i.e. in * of, etc.): Preferences->Others, Word Count, Advanced Mode

- the minimum window size is set to 800 x 550px
- some minor interface changes to accommodate the minimum window size

Bug fixes

- saving the results should work now
- keyword coloring in the context view in the Database mode

- should run in non-Japanese environment (it didn't)

I also started to update the documentation. The ones with (updated) on the How to Use page are partially updated.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

CasualConc beta bug fix

With the recent changes, I introduced one serious bug to the Concord data save function, so I fixed it. Now it should work fine.

I also made a few more changes to the Concord Plot function.

Concord Plot
- you can divide the plots by a fixed number of units (characters/words)

Let me know if you find any problem.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

CasualConc beta minor update

Upon requests, I added a few minor features to CasualConc beta.

- If you enable lemmatization and apply lemmatization to Concord search words, you can sort the Concord results by lemmas of the key.
- When you export Concord results, you can insert characters before and after the key.

Concord Plot
- export plot data (File -> Save Table)
- import to the plots of the same corpus/files (File -> Open Saved Data)
- variable plot widths for each file
- fixed widths for the plot view
- refresh to reflect changes to the Concord results (by deletion)

Bug fix
- context tag handling in Concord

With the changes to Concord, you can now sort by lemma, and then by each word. This is not available to the keyword group function at the moment. I'll see if I can apply to it if I get requests.

If you use the lemmatization function with word family lists, you can sort by the word family first, and then by each word.

If you want to insert characters before and after the key when you export Concord results, go to Preferences -> Concord 

With the Concord Plot changes, you can now put three different search results on one plot. First, search any word(s)/phrase(s) on Concord with the plotting on, then save the data on the Plot view. If you do this with another search and save the data. Then with the same corpus/files, search new word(s)/phrase(s) and then on the Plot view, open the saved data one by one. You can set the color of plots in Preferences -> Others and check Insert markers and type any characters before and after KEY.

To make the plot widths relative to the file length, Preferences -> Others -> Concordance Plot, and select Relative (or Same Width for the same plot width for all the files).

If you want to make the plots width wider, set Width (print) to whatever number (pixels) you want and check Apply to On-screen.

I might move the settings to new tab later, but for now, the settings are under Others.

The new beta version is 1.9.5.

If you find any problem, please let me know.